Wednesday 20 February 2013

Broken Flowers *

I have never been so bored by a movie in my entire life.

Sure I know of other slow, meandering movies, Gerry springs to mind (not one I'll be watching anytime soon), but this was just a painful experience. I'm not in any way criticizing slower paced films, I can enjoy them providing the events lead to a satisfying or surprising ending. The ending of Seven Pounds for example starring Will Smith is actually quite dramatic, and throughout that film I was curious where the story was heading. Not so with Broken Flowers. After 30 minutes I felt frustrated and bored, a similar feeling to waiting in a dentist waiting room.

This 'movie' follows the journey of Don Johnson (Bill Murray) as he receives a letter from a former girlfriend telling him he has a son who has left home and is now looking for him. Spurred on by his crime writer neighbor, Johnson goes on a trip to visit each of his previous girlfriends to uncover the truth. 

We're introduced to Johnson sitting on the couch watching as his girlfriend has unsurprisingly has had enough and is leaving him. It becomes clear that Johnson is a depressive, down on his luck, fifty something, bored with his life. Murray plays him that way, but to stay quiet and miserable throughout most of the 106 minute running time can't require that much acting talent and commitment, can it? It's hard to like a character who has the personality of a mouse.

Some of the endless driving scenes actually reminded me of the beginning of Manos The Hands of Fate, pointless and not moving the story on in any way whatsoever. The four girlfriends we meet are on screen for probably about five minutes each, and mostly seem unsuspicious why a man they dated twenty years ago has turned up on their doorstep.

After watching I checked imdb and apparently each girlfriend represents each phase in a relationship. Fine but at least give them something interesting to say or do. I might get bashed for this review, after the majority appear to really like this film, but for me a film has to at least have one likeable character and try to hold my attention for its duration, otherwise it becomes meaningless. Broken Flowers tries to be understated and symbolic but leaves me feeling empty and confused.     

P.S Oh yeah there is a full frontal nudity scene. Not really sure why that's in there, perhaps to try and wake up the sleeping audience.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't think it was possible to watch a film worse than 'the room' until I watched broken flowers. Couldn't stop laughing at the nudity comment!ha ha so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Room is brilliant, genuinely hilarious acting. Please tell me you didn't watch this film though Chris?

    ReplyDelete